In Office or Work From Home?

A new study shows that whether employees work from home or in the office does not make a difference to the company's bottom line, but forcing employees to come back into the office harms productivity and moral and leads to more quitting. Where do you stand on this question: should employees get a choice  (if your job is doable from home, of course) or should companies get to make the rule?

As a freelancer, I naturally work from home. But before that I had employee positions in the office and at home, and I much preferred working from home. Partly that was my job: I was a copyeditor and somehow I always got a cube next to a salesperson, making concentration difficult. (No offense to sales folks: it's your job to talk to others!) But it's also partly personality: I'm an introvert and prefer my home surroundings. And once we had kids, WFH let me be the parent I wanted to be. It also meant I didn't miss work when there were snow or sick days for the kids.

What do you think?

• I think a combination would be best.  I understand the benefits of working from home. You have controls the environment so you get to choose how comfortable of distracted you are.  I also see the benefits of going into the office.  You get to know your coworkers. As you form a relationship with a person instead of chat window you become more invested in them and the company.  There was a movie with Sandra Bullock several years ago called "The Net"  She was a completely remote worker that no one had ever seen.  When she needed to prover her identity for something, nobody could vouch for her since they had never met her in person.  I feel with the increase in remote work society is going to become more isolated.  

• I agree that getting to know your coworkers is valuable, but I don't think every interaction has to be in person to build a connection--at least not for every person. I think that's the key: the flexibility. Having the option to work hybrid is a great way to give people that flexibility.

That's an interesting point about being able to prove you're the worker who was hired. It's definitely something HR and security departments need to address.

I don't think society as a whole is going to become more isolated; just look at the reactions to lockdowns. I think what we're seeing is a rebalancing: people who are far more comfortable at home now have the option to choose the right amount of socializing for them. Research shows as much of half of society is introverted to some extent, so it can seem like a lot of people are choosing to go out less often, including into an office for work.  

• I agree on the hybrid work environment, that is what I meant by a combination would be best.  

• I think a hybrid approach, if it fits, is a great direction to take. Otherwise, if a company is predominantly remote, having strong culture and expensing get-togethers for teambuilding can be awesome!

I've been working from home for over 7 years now. I do miss getting to see and interact with my teammates daily. But the tools I have to connect with the flexibility of WFH makes it a perfect blend. 

• Agreed Thumbsup yet I would like to agree, that I do disagree with some of this statement. if youre interested to know what I disagree with, should I disagree whatsoever.

Warm Regards

Stephen Wilson

• Cabin fever is something you'll endure if your always at home! I reckon, changing it up home & office is good for employees Thumbsup

• There's also the option of working at a local library or coffee shop (if you don't have to take meetings).