Pros and cons of cloud computing

Cloud-based computing has emerged as a flexible, secure and effective solution for many businesses, large and small. The cost and time saving can be huge and the agility offered with such a solution can enable incredible business growth and goal achievement. But cloud computing isn't one-size-fits-all. What may work for a national construction company may not work for a local media company and vice versa.

What are some pros, cons and considerations when looking to transition to the cloud? 

• With cloud computing you pay for the compute time, storage, etc. that you need, rather than paying for a bulk amount up front. For instance, you can add or remove storage capacity on demand, in a pay as you go scenario. That way you do not need to pay for hardware up front. That saves a lot of money on infrastructure costs. It also prevents you from running out of storage. If you need more you simply pay for it. It also saves on IT costs because the cloud provider takes care of that. With compute time, you can even track the usage by the day or the hour, paying more for busy times, when you have a lot of customer traffic for instance. It does improve disaster recovery as well. It is supposed to be a major cost saver.

• The only major concern for me with Cloud computing is Big Technology Companies becoming politically authoritarian and using their control of the cloud to take away our freedoms.  We've seen this just recently in the last few years and it's been getting worse.

• which service do you suggest for a small business with less than 10 employees?

• Good question! Maybe one of the pros in this thread have some good suggestions? Pros and cons of cloud computing 

Also, you might enjoy browsing some of the content in the resource library on cloud here: https://smbcommunity.lenovo.com/tags/Cloud 

OR some info from Lenovo's cloud solutions here:  Cloud Computing: Lenovo Services Portfolio  

• I come from old school IT where the mentality was "I want control of everything and it needs to be on-prem". So I have been hesitant about moving things to the cloud. That said, i have found over the last few years that *some* things are actually better in the cloud. Moving email from an on-prem server to O365 gave us a TON of great new features and reduced cost. Same with moving our phone service from on-prem system to a cloud based system. WAY more features and much less upfront and long term costs. That said, the cloud is just someone else's computer, and I can't guarantee it's safety or security. We do not use the cloud for anything that we feel we need to keep secure or confidential or would matter if someone else saw it.  

• At some point there will be more societal push for protecting privacy, or ownership of one’s own data, for life. Until society collectively pushes back, industry will continue their one way conversation!

• Pros less bulky gadgets, more space, ability to access from multiple locations. Cons, hacking, servers go down, lost passwords 

• It’s scary when data and DNA companies combine. And there terms and conditions makes you waive your right’s.

• Cloud computing has become increasingly popular in recent years as businesses of all sizes look to capitalize on its many advantages. For small businesses, cloud computing can provide several benefits, including increased flexibility, scalability, and efficiency. However, there are also some potential drawbacks to consider, such as security risks and the potential for service disruptions. Ultimately, the decision to move to the cloud should be based on a careful evaluation of your business's specific needs and goals. With that in mind, here are some key pros and cons when switching to cloud computing.

PROS:
    - Flexibility: Cloud computing allows small businesses to quickly and easily scale up or down according to their changing needs.
    - Scalability: Small businesses can start with a smaller cloud package and expand their subscription as their business grows.
    - Efficiency: Moving to the cloud can help small businesses save time and money by eliminating the need for on-site hardware and IT infrastructure.

CONS:
    - Security risks: Small businesses transitioning to cloud computing may expose themselves to more significant security risks, as sensitive data is stored off-site and managed by a third-party provider.
    - Disruptions in service: Small businesses that rely heavily on cloud-based services may be at risk for disruptions in service if their Internet connection is lost or their cloud provider experiences an outage.