Pros and cons of cloud computing

Cloud-based computing has emerged as a flexible, secure and effective solution for many businesses, large and small. The cost and time saving can be huge and the agility offered with such a solution can enable incredible business growth and goal achievement. But cloud computing isn't one-size-fits-all. What may work for a national construction company may not work for a local media company and vice versa.

What are some pros, cons and considerations when looking to transition to the cloud? 

Parents
  • I look at it as, whose data is it - mine or the "clouds"?

Who is responsible for the data - me or a "cloud"?

When one puts their data, trust, reliance on a "cloud", they tend to become less self-reliant.

When the clouds dissipate & the sun shines through, is it shining on you?

A cloud can be part of a system, but when it becomes the system - watch out.

• I look at it as, whose data is it - mine or the "clouds"?

Who is responsible for the data - me or a "cloud"?

When one puts their data, trust, reliance on a "cloud", they tend to become less self-reliant.

When the clouds dissipate & the sun shines through, is it shining on you?

A cloud can be part of a system, but when it becomes the system - watch out.

Children
  • Cloud is not only data, it is also (and more important) - applications.
    With clouds we can "rent" (subscribe) for very functionally rich (and heavy) applications - we do not need to pay a lump sum to create/install/support such applications (including to pay for the hardware base itself) - think about Google Docs as an example.
    If we are afraid about loss of data, we can store data (with- or without applications) on two (or more) different clouds (aws, azure, oracle etc).
    Personally I worry about data on my local hard disk significantly more than about my data in the cloud. And I have backups of both anyway :)
    Even if data has some high security level and [government] requirement about storing place and so on, we can use private clouds (our own) - and companies (and their end-users also) will benefit from easier provisioning and maintenance of a bunch of applications with almost browser-only end-user hardware (including mobile phones).