Biggest FAIL! Business, marketing or creative idea or tactic that fell flat

It's just as important to talk about our failures as it is to talk about our successes - in personal, business and professional lives. Sometimes, you just don't know until you try. 

We can often learn more from our failures than our successes - so. What business or marketing idea fell flat? What did you learn from it?

For non-business owners, was there a project or idea that didn't turn out like you hoped? What did you learn from it?

If you've never failed at anything (Sweat smile), were your a front-row observer to something that didn't work so well?

Share your experience below!

Parents
  • I was doing a contract project related to online sales of products and user shopping experiences, and the team I was on working in the Japan space was just having a hard time meshing our needs with those of other teams focused on other languages/countries. I was having the hardest time finding sump pumps (of all things!) in Japanese, which is apparently a big thing in many other parts of the world (I chalk this up to Japanese houses usually not having cellars or basements, where I can see these being used most). Eventually, this cascaded with other issues to the point that we approached the computer engineer in charge of the search function and basically asked him if it was possible to support a whole new search feature specific to the Japanese language. His response was that our suggestion might work, but that he'd essentially have to rebuild the entire search interface from the ground up.

So, good idea, impractical solution. I still wonder how things turned out - I left the project before that issue was ever resolved.

• I was doing a contract project related to online sales of products and user shopping experiences, and the team I was on working in the Japan space was just having a hard time meshing our needs with those of other teams focused on other languages/countries. I was having the hardest time finding sump pumps (of all things!) in Japanese, which is apparently a big thing in many other parts of the world (I chalk this up to Japanese houses usually not having cellars or basements, where I can see these being used most). Eventually, this cascaded with other issues to the point that we approached the computer engineer in charge of the search function and basically asked him if it was possible to support a whole new search feature specific to the Japanese language. His response was that our suggestion might work, but that he'd essentially have to rebuild the entire search interface from the ground up.

So, good idea, impractical solution. I still wonder how things turned out - I left the project before that issue was ever resolved.

Children
No Data