Tech stack small business picks and questions

This month, we have L.A. based small business owner Ashley coming to chat about her tech stack and the tools she uses to run her business. 

Do you have any questions for her prior to the webinar on how she choose her CRM, which marketing tools she leverages, how she determined what tech would fit her needs best or any other question?

What is in your small business tech stack? What tools are you considering this year?

Please leave your questions and comments below!

• As a small business owner, it is crucial to have an efficient and effective tech stack in place. A tech stack refers to the combination of software tools, programming languages, frameworks, and other technologies used by a company to build and manage their digital products or services.

Having the right tech stack can significantly impact your business operations, customer experience, and overall success. My tech stack is not very technical.

Why is a Tech Stack Important for Small Businesses?

In today's digital age, technology plays an integral role in every aspect of running a business. A well-designed tech stack can help streamline processes, save time and money, and improve customer satisfaction. Additionally, with the rise of remote work, technology has become even more critical for small businesses to stay connected and productive. I can work anywhere and my tools are very agile.

Essential Tools for Small Business Tech Stack

When building your tech stack, it is essential to consider tools that are cost-effective, user-friendly, and integrate well with each other. Here are some essential tools to consider when creating a tech stack for your small business:

Communication Tools

Effective communication is crucial for any business, especially for remote teams. Some popular communication tools include Slack, Microsoft Teams, and Zoom. These tools allow teams to communicate in real-time through messaging, video conferencing, and file sharing.

Project Management Tools

To stay organized and on track with projects, I use Calandy.com and Monday.com. These tools offer features like task delegation, progress tracking, and deadline reminders to help teams stay on top of their work.

Accounting and Invoicing Tools

Managing finances can be time-consuming, but with the right tools, it doesn't have to be. QuickBooks, FreshBooks, or Xero are popular accounting and invoicing tools that can automate tasks like tracking expenses, creating invoices, and generating financial reports.

Customer Relationship Management (CRM) Tools

A CRM tool helps businesses manage and analyze customer interactions and data throughout the customer lifecycle. Popular options include Salesforce, HubSpot, or Zoho CRM. These tools can help businesses improve their sales and marketing efforts by identifying potential leads, tracking customer behavior, and automating targeted communication.

Analytics Tools

To gain valuable insights into your business's performance, consider using analytics tools like Google Analytics, Kissmetrics, or Mixpanel. These tools can track website traffic, user behavior, and other relevant data to help businesses make data-driven decisions.

Cloud Storage Tools

With the rise of remote work and digital files, having a secure and accessible storage solution is essential. I use these popular cloud storage options include Dropbox, Google Drive, or OneDrive. These tools allow businesses to store and share files securely, collaborate on documents in real-time, and access files from any device.

E-commerce Platform

In today's digital age, having an online presence is essential for small businesses. Drop-shipping can be made easier by using  E-commerce platforms like Shopify which I use.

Email Marketing Tools

Email marketing remains a valuable tool for businesses to reach and engage with their customers. Popular email marketing tools include Mailchimp, Constant Contact, or ConvertKit. These tools offer features like email automation, segmentation, and analytics to help businesses create effective email campaigns.I prefer Mail Chimp.

Social Media Management Tools

Having a strong presence on social media is essential for businesses to reach and engage with their target audience. Social media management tools like Hootsuite, Buffer, or Sprout Social can help businesses schedule posts, monitor engagement, and analyze performance across multiple social media platforms. I also use tube buddy for youtube analytics.

Finally I have incorporated HeyGen.ai to make personalized thank you videos as well as  training videos. This cuts my work time in half. I have the ability to translate these videos in many different languages. I am looking forward to the future and watch my businesses thrive.

• Does social media still pay a big role in promoting one's brand? Do you need to be on "all" the platforms or are some significantly better than the rest? Are there any must-need tools or strategies to better utilize social media in your marketing goals?

• I have always heard that it depends on who you are trying to market to.  If you are marketing to teenagers then Facebook is not where you need to focus, Instagram and TikTok will do much better for you.  If you want to Market to their parents, then you look to Facebook. 

• How many of your various tools have direct integrations?  How big a part does that play in your selection process?

• can you shed some light on getting over the fear of the jump to starting your own business and leaving an employer?

• I took the plunge concurrently.  I began with a name, a niche and Legal Zoom. I used Weebly and Siteground for the Website.It took off and I never looked back.

• How does artificial intelligence influence marketing now in 2024?

• What innovations do you see coming with AI that will help small business owners? 

• I think AI will impact marketing in many ways, not least of all saving time. For example, if you've taken the time to write an email campaign that attempts to acquire new customers, you can ask a chat tool to brainstorm subject lines. Then you can compare and choose or even select two and run an A/B test to see which one performs best with your audience. You can also use AI to help you write an outline, brainstorm a content marketing plan, help identify publications and websites who might be interested in your content. In short, AI can help increase your human efficiency - but not creativity :) 

I think two of the most important factors to consider when using AI are 1. the quality of the prompt/instructions you provide will have a direct connection to the quality of content AI returns 2. always check what AI returns to you, and remember the unpaid version of ChatGPT-3.5 (free) has knowledge of events that occurred up to January 2022 and ChatGPT-4 (paid) up to April 2023. 

• Great response Judith! I read your response a week ago and I'm still coming back to look at all your suggestions.

I've just explored HeyGen.com and that is amazing. I can see the potential in a service like HeyGen. Thank you for sharing.