Certifications - why, when and how?

What certifications do you have? Why? How did you achieve them?

Do you have to renew them even after you first obtained them? Are they are key part of keeping up your skills?

Please share below with the community! 

Parents
  • One aspect of certification that I have used in the past 5-7 years is starting small, or starting simple. The area I focused on with this is learning to code. I started with free services, online, without instruction. Then after a year or so, I worked with learning via certification from a vendor, with pre-recorded instruction. Then I worked more on my own time. Then actual university, with both pre-recorded sessions and occasional live input from faculty or staff. This "ramp up" has made a positive difference. Also, putting in 1 hour a day coding, for now 7+ years has made a difference, separate from the learning, via doing. There is always updates and more to learn. However, once you can build things you need, that is worth the investment of time, money, and effort. In long term perspective, it is more than a saving, it is creating efficiency, effectiveness, and opportunities.

• One aspect of certification that I have used in the past 5-7 years is starting small, or starting simple. The area I focused on with this is learning to code. I started with free services, online, without instruction. Then after a year or so, I worked with learning via certification from a vendor, with pre-recorded instruction. Then I worked more on my own time. Then actual university, with both pre-recorded sessions and occasional live input from faculty or staff. This "ramp up" has made a positive difference. Also, putting in 1 hour a day coding, for now 7+ years has made a difference, separate from the learning, via doing. There is always updates and more to learn. However, once you can build things you need, that is worth the investment of time, money, and effort. In long term perspective, it is more than a saving, it is creating efficiency, effectiveness, and opportunities.

Children
No Data