Certifications - why, when and how?

What certifications do you have? Why? How did you achieve them?

Do you have to renew them even after you first obtained them? Are they are key part of keeping up your skills?

Please share below with the community! 

• I thankfully got my Microsoft and Comptia certs before you had to renew them on a regular basis (I know I am old).  In my experience certs look good on paper and they help you to get your foot in the door, but nothing beats experience from working in the field.  I started college at a local community college and the teachers had great book knowledge, but little real world experience.  I switched over to a trade school and all of the teachers had worked in the industry and told you how it really works.  I remember one exam that the teacher told us there were two correct answers he would accept, the way the book taught it, and the way he said it worked in the real world.   

• I have many English as a second language certifications such as TEFL, TESOL, SAT, ACT certs. I also have a cryptocurrency certification from C4. I have standard Microsoft Certifications and a SQL cert.I also hold  global certifications to teach specific subjects in specific countries. They are a key part of keeping up my skills but in order to teach them, one must check the understanding of the students. If they do not understand the concepts, there is no reason to continue unless they understand what I am trying to teach them.

• I couldn't agree more Ray.  In my opinion, certifications simply prove you can pass a test.  Not that you can apply the knowledge in the real world.  Case in point, PMP.  Nothing beats experience.  I get really tired of seeing the alphabet next to someone's email signature.  As a test, I added M2C (married to Caren), PoT (papa of three) and some other silly one I can't remember, to my email signature for a year.  No one ever asked what the certs represented.  I think they serve a purpose on a resume, beyond that not so much.  Don't get me wrong, the certifications do add to your knowledge base, they represent valuable tools in your toolbox, but beyond that they're just bragging rights.

-Rusty Nuts, SMH (shaking my head)

• I don't have any at the moment, but I'm working on some Certificates offered by Google - Google IT Certificates - Grow with Google

• I don't need them for my line of work.  But my business helps mortgage companies with their licenses.  So I live and breath this type of stuff for others.  They have to renew their licenses each year and complete 8 hours of Continuing Education. Slight smile

• I haven't received a single certification relating to my current job. I was promoted from a different type of work in the same organization with the knowledge that I had experience in the field. 

• Technical and industry certifications are necessary for getting your foot in the door.  And, if you work in a consulting capacity, they are necessary to give you paper creds so the customer has at least some peace about paying your rates.  However, once you enter a conference room and start collecting technical requirements and designing a solution, those certs are useless.  That's where real-world experience takes over.  But, you still needed those certs to get in the door.

• Certifications are at times a requirement in a career. Careers that are ‘life and limb’, with risks, such as hospitals and transportation, track not only certification, also professional develop training, and statuses such as ‘current and qualified’. You reach qualification, then prove currency by task or outcome. There are even at times ‘no notice’ exams…”Hi, I’m here to watch you do your job today.” This of course can be stressful, and the demand to always be a top performance, high. It is a good practice to follow the pattern: degree - certification - degree - certification. While following this narrow your focus like a funnel. Do you want to be a project manager working with aviation? Focus the degrees and certifications in that direction. Look at program quality for both degrees and certifications. Look at accreditation, or legal requirements such as within state for meeting the legal bar exam as important requirements.

• LOL - That is pretty awesome that you added those - surprising no one asked about them!