What is your favorite productivity hack?

What is your favorite productivity hack?

Whether tech-based, business-owner hack, time management practice or anything in-between, how do you make your time work for you?

Parents
  • Standing desks -- staying on your feet helps to keep you active and engaged throughout the day. Bringing monitors, keyboard, and mouse up to torso height helps maintain better posture and ergonomics, puts less stress on wrists, and you're less inclined to be idle when you're upright. I added a balance board to my desk to keep my knees, quads and calves engaged while I'm working.

• Standing desks -- staying on your feet helps to keep you active and engaged throughout the day. Bringing monitors, keyboard, and mouse up to torso height helps maintain better posture and ergonomics, puts less stress on wrists, and you're less inclined to be idle when you're upright. I added a balance board to my desk to keep my knees, quads and calves engaged while I'm working.

Children
  • We have a few where I work.  I needed to do some updates to a user's computer with one.  I actually liked working in this manner.

• Yes! I have made some recent adjustments to my work set-up to stand more and improve my posture. It can be so easy to start slouching without some movement. 

And what is a balance board? 

• Think of a skateboard, but only one set of wheels in the middle.  

• Thanks  That is a great idea... Keeping more of your body engaged while working. Thanks for sharing  

• I'm interested in a balance board. Does it allow you to still have fine control of the mouse for work where that is important, like image editing, GIS digitization?

• In my experience yes, absolutely no issues. I create banners, product displays, and do a lot of 3D image editing work for web publication for my business. To try to offer a more direct opinion as it relates to your question, when using the balance board, it allows me to shift my weight and stretch my lower body throughout the day, but once you get used to it, it is also effortless to plant yourself on the board with perfectly level balance so that the board doesn't move at all, or perhaps less than 1 or 2 degrees, while you're actively working on something. You just make sure your weight is evenly distributed forming a triangle over the center of the board and you can maintain that position as if you were standing on flat ground. And of course the board is very light, if at any time it's needed, you can just pick it up and set it off to the side and actually stand on solid ground. But I use it all day, every day without issue. And I think using a mouse pad with a wrist support is good in combination with it to keep your arm stabilized.

• Totally agree on the standing desk upgrade. Big help to balance work routine during working hours.

• I agree standing allows me to focus more on the task at hand