Cables and cords - how do you manage?

We want to hear from our IT experts out there (and anyone who loves organizing) - how do you DEAL with cable and cord management?

• What recommendations do you give users?
  • What do you do yourself to keep sane with all your cords/wires?
  • How often do you clean and organize cords/cables?
  • How do you keep track of loose wires, chargers, adapters and other similar items not being used?

Please share any of your tips, recommendations or experience with the community below. 

Parents
  • In our server rooms and closets, we label all our Ethernet and fiber optic cables on both ends. I also designate different colors for different use of cables.

Color Usage
    Blue End-user
    Green Printers
    Yellow Servers & NAS
    Red

Switches, APs, & FIrewall

I bundle the cables with velcro strips. They are easy to unravel, reusable, and wider than zip ties. Tip: Do not overtighten your zip ties or velcro, which can damage your cables. You can buy large rolls of 8" 3M velcro which comes out to $0.01/velcro strip. The velcro also makes it easy to attach cables to our server rack for keeping everything clean.

For our smaller areas with fewer cables, I use these multicable staples made by Gardner Bender. I screw them to the wall, rafters, or other areas where I run cables.

I try to clean each location once a year.

As for all our spare cables, velcro and storage bins are the best! I bundle each cable with velcro and organize them in storage bins. For Ethernet cables, I divide them in different bins according to lengths, so if I need a 14' cable, I don't have to look through a pile. For some cables where I don't have too many, I cut up boxes and put the cables in the boxes and place those in the bin.

• In our server rooms and closets, we label all our Ethernet and fiber optic cables on both ends. I also designate different colors for different use of cables.

Color Usage
    Blue End-user
    Green Printers
    Yellow Servers & NAS
    Red

Switches, APs, & FIrewall

I bundle the cables with velcro strips. They are easy to unravel, reusable, and wider than zip ties. Tip: Do not overtighten your zip ties or velcro, which can damage your cables. You can buy large rolls of 8" 3M velcro which comes out to $0.01/velcro strip. The velcro also makes it easy to attach cables to our server rack for keeping everything clean.

For our smaller areas with fewer cables, I use these multicable staples made by Gardner Bender. I screw them to the wall, rafters, or other areas where I run cables.

I try to clean each location once a year.

As for all our spare cables, velcro and storage bins are the best! I bundle each cable with velcro and organize them in storage bins. For Ethernet cables, I divide them in different bins according to lengths, so if I need a 14' cable, I don't have to look through a pile. For some cables where I don't have too many, I cut up boxes and put the cables in the boxes and place those in the bin.

Children
  • Beautiful! Wish I had the head for that.